Jacuzzi Hot tub drain cover
The lawsuit alleges that Hoy, a healthy and fit 33-year-old, was sucked into the spa's drain, and that when his fiancee called for help, Sandals employees ignored her and then eventually refused to perform CPR.
The alleged incident occurred at Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort in Nassau, Bahamas when John Van Hoy Jr. was taking a dip in the resort's jacuzzi spa. He apparently dunked himself under the water and then became trapped in the spa's outlet drain cover, reports Courthouse News Service.
His fiancee yelled for help while she attempted to free him, but alleges that employees just walked away and were unable to turn off the suction pump.
Other resort guests had to step in, but he was dead by the time paramedics arrived.
The family is now suing the companies for negligence, infliction of emotional distress, false imprisonment and product liability for the jacuzzi death.
Whether or not these allegations are true, this story is an important lesson in something that occurs every summer: swimming pool accidents.
Every year, there are countless stories of the young and old being injured in swimming pools, and many of them involve improper drain covers and malfunctioning pumps.
So let this story of jacuzzi death be a reminder to everyone out there responsible for pools: pay attention to safety and do what you can to prevent swimming pool accidents.